Students who complete this major will:
- gain an in-depth knowledge of Arabic language and of Arab culture and society relative to their entry level;
- acquire effective written and oral communication skills in Arabic;
- develop a capacity to combine their knowledge of Arabic language and culture with other disciplines;
- gain a knowledge of the social and cultural diversity of the Middle East and North Africa, and develop the skills to work with people from diverse linguistic and cultural backgrounds;
- acquire the ability to set goals and manage time and priorities, and work effectively both independently and in groups.
Offered by the Asia Institute
The Arabic program offers an integrated way of studying the Arabic language and aspects of Arab and Islamic culture. Beyond studying the language itself, you have the opportunity to learn about the nature of living, seeing, acting and interacting in the 'Arab way'. You will develop language proficiency, as well as awareness of issues related to Arabic literature, history, sociology and religion.
- International relations
- Community development