On successful completion of this major, students will be able to:
- demonstrate a detailed knowledge and critical understanding of diverse concepts, theories and forms of knowledge in the field of political science and the political, cultural and socio-economic contexts in which they operate; and
- critically apply concepts and theories used in the study of political science to the analysis of political behaviour, interests, ideas and institutions in changing contexts; and
- develop an understanding of debates in domestic and international politics and an ability to evaluate different interpretations of political phenomena; and
- demonstrate an understanding of research processes in the social sciences including design, methodology and methods, critical analysis and interpretation, and the diversity of approaches to research; and
- recognise the importance of ethical standards of conduct in the research and analysis of social and political phenomena; and
- work productively in groups; and
- communicate effectively in oral and written formats; and
- develop an ability to work with independence, self-reflection and engage in problem solving.
Offered by the School of Political and Social Sciences
The Major in Politics and International Studies enables students to develop an understanding of the main political issues, institutions, ideas, policies and actors that dominate local, national and international agendas. It includes the study of identity and community, power and how it is exercised and contested, democracy, the state and state system, governance beyond and below the state, public policy, political movements, war and conflict and conflict-resolution. The Major offers subjects on these themes from a variety of perspectives in political science, including international relations, public policy, political theory, political economy, comparative politics, Australian politics, indigenous studies, regional studies and feminism and gender studies, as well as subjects on research methods.
- International relations
- Multinational business
- Policy development