Students who complete this major will:
- Interpret academic and everyday communication across a number of genres in the target language relative to the entry level;
- Understand the use of Spanish in real-life situations and be aware of the contributions of Spanish-Speakers to the economic, intellectual, cultural and social affairs of the Spanish and Latin American nations.
- Acquire enough intellectual sophistication to appreciate historical, cultural and anthropological differences within the Spanish-speaking communities from Spain and Latin-America;
- Understand and self-reflect on the linguo-cultural acquisition process both in English and Spanish showing autonomous, self-directed and academic-level skills;
- Appreciate and respect diversity and background difference by critically evaluating Spanish-speaking cultures and including the viewpoint of the target culture;
- Be able to confidently interact in intellectually sophisticated conversations with both native and non-native speakers in the target language about historical and contemporary Spanish Speaking Australian, the Eastern Pacific Rim, together with Spanish and Latin American communities;
- Be able to defend arguments in public about the historical linguistic and cultural relevance of indigenous and migrant populations in Latin America and understanding their historical interaction with other European and American cultures;
- Develop a cross-cultural understanding in order to achieve an awareness of contemporary Spanish Speaking Australian, the Eastern Pacific Rim, and the needs of Spanish and Latin American communities.
Offered by the School of Languages and Linguistics
You will learn to speak the language of more than 350 million people in 25 countries. Subjects cover the culture and histories of the largest Spanish-speaking nations and how the language has influenced cultures around the world. By learning such a popular and influential language, you will create a wide range of career opportunities. Exchange opportunities in Spanish-speaking countries are available.
- International trade
- Multinational business